Aunt Marty Sees the Sights

On the second day of Aunt Marty’s visit, we went to school together.  When we arrived, I brought Aunt Marty to the big teacher’s office where my desk is.  She had brought flip-flops as her indoor shoes for school, but had not brought split-toe socks to go with it (I was also supposed to pick up an extra pair for her, but completely forgot about it).  Instead, I loaned her the socks I wear with my tabi boots for taiko performances.  I don’t remember where I picked up the socks, but they are bright red with some traditional Japanese patterns on it which earned her some interesting comments throughout the day.

When we got to the teachers room, my vice principal called me over and had me introduce Aunt Marty to our principal.  After that we were dismissed until the morning meeting.  At the meeting, I had to stand up and introduce her to all of the other teachers.  I definitely did a better job than when dad visit.  One thing I have been noticing on this trip is just how much I’ve changed and grown in my abilities since my dad’s visit.  After the morning meeting, it was time for first period.  Aunt Marty came with me to class and sat in.

Second period was spent in the nurse’s’ office.  I spent the hour translating the conversation between Aunt Marty and the nurses.  They spoke about the differences in what it is like being a school nurse in the US vs Japan.  The nurses were so excited, they even took notes.  I think they had a really good time.  For the next two periods, Aunt Marty came with me to class and mostly observed, though I tried to get her involved where I could.

For lunch, I had announced to most of the homerooms the week before that my aunt would be coming and they would all have the opportunity to each lunch with her if they wanted.  I was worried that no one would come, but about fifteen second years ended up coming and eating lunch with us.  I was ecstatic.  Not only that, they actually asked her some questions (though entirely in Japanese).  The best question was probably one of the girls asking if Aunt Marty’s shoulders were tired.  They were, but it was a weird question.  When I pressed the student about why she asked the question, her response was, “I heard on TV that foreigners don’t get sore shoulders.”  I had no response for that, because I obviously can’t say, ‘That’s stupid and you shouldn’t believe such ridiculous things,’ instead I said, “We’re humans.  Of course we get sore shoulders.”

In the afternoon, my Japanese mom and her daughter picked up Aunt Marty and showed her around the city while I stayed at work.

They even took them to their home for some tea and talking.  Before this, my Japanese mom was very nervous that Aunt Marty wouldn’t be able to understand her English.  Everything went really well and everyone had a great time.  Megumi ended up dropping off Aunt Marty only a few minutes before I got home from the gym, so the timing worked out perfectly.  Aunt Marty took a nap while I showered and got ready for dinner.

That evening, my adult conversation group took us out to dinner for a traditional Japanese meal.  Aunt Marty had more trouble finding stuff that she wanted to eat than I thought she would, but she did manage to find some tempura she would eat.  We had to leave a little earlier than we probably would have normally because there was too much smoke in the restaurant for me.  I have been getting over a cold and the smoke was triggering my asthma, so it was time to go.  We said goodnight after Izaki-sensei dropped us back at my house with the promise to pick us up in the morning for our train.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s