The Typhoon Adventure

After nearly 12 hours of traveling and adventure, I finally got to sleep around midnight.  I thought, at most, I would probably be woken up by the wind sometime during the night.  The rain was what woke me the first time around 1.  I pulled my pillow over my head and went back to sleep…

Only to be woken up at 2 by an emergency warning that we should be prepared in case we have to evacuate.  However, my area wasn’t mentioned in the alert, so I went back to sleep…

Only to be woken up at 3 by an emergency warning that my area, Yamashita, should be prepared to evacuate and to head to a shelter if we felt unsafe.  Since I figured I was still fine, especially since the majority of my apartment is on the second floor, I went back to sleep…

Only to be woken up at 4 by an evacuation order for my neighborhood.  I quickly got dressed and grabbed my evacuation bag.  I then went to the window and just watched for a few moments.  I wanted to gauge if I was overreacting or if anyone else was leaving.  My co-worker who lives across the street from me turned on their lights, but I didn’t see them leaving.  On the other hand, three cars did pull out of the parking lot in front of my apartment, so it was hard to gauge what was happening.  I debated what to do for a few minutes, but I finally decided to call my friend who lived nearby, despite the early hour.  I figured she would likely be awake too, so I took a chance.

To give you an idea of how close I live to the river.  That star is my place and the blue in the upper-left corner is the river.

To give you an idea of how close I live to the river. That star is my place and the blue in the upper-left corner is the river.

Thankfully Izaki-sensei was awake and answered my call.  She lives closer to the river than I do.  She promised to call me and come grab me if she and her parents ended up evacuating.  With that safety-net in place, I grabbed my pillow and curled up on my couch.  I had already called my supervisor the night before and let her know that I would probably be taking the morning off, so I figured if I ever did get to sleep, I would be able to sleep in.

I woke up about two hours later to a clear, blue sky and slowly got my things together.  It was around noon by the time I finally made it to work.  My supervisor told me that the students may have to come in the afternoon, so I didn’t want to take the whole day off, just in case.  But, when I arrived, I was told that the trains still weren’t running.  As long as the trains aren’t running, the students don’t have classes.  After a quick conversation with the Vice Principal, I took sick leave for the rest of the day too and headed home.

My couch is probably one of the best purchases I’ve made since moving here, if only for the number of naps I’ve been able to take on that thing.

With that, my typhoon adventure was done.  At least, done until the next one.


3 thoughts on “The Typhoon Adventure

  1. Nice to have an emergency warning system. And having your evacuation bag. But … if the message is to evacuate, maybe you should?

    Sorry, channelling my work here in Australia. When very bad outcomes can occur when emergency warnings are not followed literally.

    • It’s a fair point, but at that point evacuating could have been more dangerous as I would have had to do it on foot. As I live on the second floor, staying put was probably safer at the time.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s