Korea: Day Three

On Saturday, I woke up later than I had the past few days, which was nice.  I was allergic to our hotel room, but had still managed to get a fairly decent sleep.  After that, we packed up and left our things in the hotel before grabbing some breakfast and coffee.  That taken care of, we went back to the hotel, checked out, and hit the road for Ellen’s.  Ellen lives about an hour outside of Seoul, so it was going to be a bit of a treck to get there, but I figured it wouldn’t be too bad.

First step was a train that took us to the outskirts of Seoul.  From there, we hopped on a bus.  For those who don’t know, I get pretty bad motion sickness.  I always have, but it has gotten significantly worse since moving to Japan.  Maybe it’s because I’m on mountain roads and trains/boats/busses more often, so there are more opportunities for getting sick.  Who knows.  For the most part I have gotten pretty good at planning ahead and making sure as unlikely to get motion sick as I can.

You can probably figure out where this is going.  I made the mistake of taking pictures while on the bus.  I noticed I was feeling ill and quickly put the camera away, but the nausea wasn’t going away.  About 20 minutes away from our destination, I had to ask Ellen if we could get off the bus.  It was either that or I was going to be sick.  Unfortunately, my stomach/inner ear chose a very bad time to decide it had had enough.  The stop we were stuck at had absolutely nothing besides apartment buildings around it.  There was no cafe we could go into, not drugstore where we could buy something for my stomach, nothing.

After a short 20 minute wait, we were finally back on the bus and I was feeling more or less okay with it.  The rest of the trek to Ellen’s was thankfully uneventful.  Her apartment was ok for her, but I don’t think I could have made it a year living there.  Ellen has about a suitcase worth of possessions at any given time (not including books), so she was fine with the tiny one room apartment where using the shower made the toilet wet.  I, however, am a fish.  I need a certain sized tank to survive, but if I’m given more room than that, I tend to expand to fill my tank.  I.e., I can live in a studio apartment that has separate sections for function, but if I am in a two room apartment, I will accumulate enough things to fill it.

Which is going to be an issue next year, but I’m starting to work on that now.

Anyway, back to Korea.  After dropping our things at Ellen’s we headed back out to a really good chicken place near where she lives.  Ellen lives on one side of the college campus where she works.  The shops and things seem to be largely on the other side, so we had to cut through.  It’s a nice campus, though it was pretty dead because of summer vacation.

After lunch, we hopped back on the busses and headed to Suwon city to check out the fortress there.

We then grabbed a snack before heading to the fortress walls.

DSC03834 DSC03831 DSC03835

A bazillion painfully steep stairs later, I got a bunch of pictures at the top.

Once we were done with the fortress, we decided (I decided for us) to take it easier that evening and head to the mall.  Unfortunately, my ankle still has it’s limits.  It sort of gives up after 20,000 steps, so I was hobbling a bit by the time we found a restaurant to eat in.  We had some delicious bibimbap for dinner then went to see a movie.  I finally got to see the Jungle Book!  After that, we headed back to Ellen’s to shower and sleep.


2 thoughts on “Korea: Day Three

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s