The Trip There

A large part of my vacation has been a nice break from social media.  Some of it has not been voluntary (due to a few technological issues), but regardless, it was really relaxing to just unplug from everything.  With as nice as it felt, I did not want to ruin it by forcing myself to update my blog (though that is something I normally love doing).  Now that it’s my last day in America (and I have the house to myself with nothing to do but finish packing and be sad about the fact that I’m leaving) it seems like as good of a time as any to get back into the swing of things.

All packed up and ready to go.

All packed up and ready to go.

On Thursday the 12th, my amazing friend Tomoko picked me up from my apartment and took me to the train station.  On the way I saw a few of my students headed to school.  They all stared and were clearly wondering where the heck I was going.  I just grinned and waved.  I took the train to the airport and checked in.  I was in line to check in my baggage when I saw that the bags were being scanned.  Thinking that I was in the wrong line (thinking that these people had already checked in somewhere that I had missed) I ducked out of the line when it was almost my turn.  Of course, it was the correct line, I had just forgotten that the bags get scanned before being checked in.  I had to wait another 10 minutes in line to finally finish that part of the process.

Security was a breeze (as it always is at Miyazaki airport).  I then had two hours to kill while waiting in the newly renovated little cafe area of the airport.  Still, I would rather spend two hours in the airport than at my apartment worrying that I was going to miss the train or security would be bad or a million other things.

The flight to Tokyo was uneventful.  I grabbed my suitcase and headed to the bus stop to get to my next stop.  Even in that short time I was overwhelmed by the number of people speaking English at me.  In my brain, in my experience of Japan, English is not something that exists in my version of Japan.  At least, not from people working in the service industry here.

Traffic was a non-issue and I got to the next airport with plenty of time to spare.  I then had a lot of time to hunt for outlets and make sure that I was charged  up for the long flight ahead.  The flight was actually a lot easier than I expected.  I don’t know if th

My first "meal" in the States.  A chocolate banana smoothie.  It was delicious.

My first “meal” in the States. A chocolate banana smoothie. It was delicious.

at’s because I watched so many movies, or if it’s because I hd two seats, or if I had decided to wear yoga pants instead of jeans this time.  Who knows.  I did not manage to sleep more than about twenty minutes, but it turned out fine.

After yet another flight from Chicago to St. Louis, I was home.  Though it was kind of late for all of us, I hung out and got to catch up with my parents as I unpacked a bit.  Unfortunately, I only had a short time to spend with them because I had to head out the next day.


2 thoughts on “The Trip There

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s