Ehime, Part 4

I had reserved my ferry ticket for the latest I could manage and still get back to my apartment at a reasonable time: 2ish.  That left the morning and early afternoon open for more exploring.  Since our trips to explore the peninsula were rained out due to the typhoon days before, we rescheduled for my last day.  I’m really glad we finally got to check it out.  The beaches were beautiful.  I had never been to a beach with such coarse sand.  I had way too much child-like fun just walking around in it.  Jen told me that the beach is actually made up of a special kind of blue-black rock.  I believe it’s volcanic.  Regardless, the shores are apparently famous for this.  I couldn’t believe how beautifully blue the water was either.

IMG_2744 IMG_2749 IMG_2748 IMG_2747 IMG_2746 IMG_2745

I tried to get kind of artsy again.

I tried to get kind of artsy again.

IMG_2753 IMG_2754 IMG_2755


After the beach, we visited a shrine.  As we approached, we saw a bunch of kids playing in the courtyard-ish area of what we now only 50% sure was a shrine.

Jen: Is this a shrine?
Boy: Yes.
Jen: Is this a house?
Boy: Yes.
Me: I’m not sure he understands…..

Turns out, he did understand.  But he went to go find his mom because, “There are two foreigners wandering around who don’t speak Japanese.”

Imagine her surprise when we did.  There was a family who lived at and took care of the shrine.  The father of the family was the head priest.  What was even cooler were special paintings that were out on display in preparation for the holiday of Obon.  The mother and the grandmother talked to us a bit, telling us all about the history of the shrine.  And then we got green tea, which was also fun.  They were incredibly nice.

The most awkward and lame thing I've ever done with me hands in a picture.  Never again, man.  Never again.

The most awkward and lame thing I’ve ever done with me hands in a picture. Never again, man. Never again.

After a brief rest back at Jen’s place, it was time for me to head out.  Though I spent most of the time curled up, trying to convince my inner ears that we were not actually moving, that they were just confused, the outside deck was open this time.  So I walked outside a bit and got as much fresh air as I could.



Then it was just a two hour ride on the train and a 20 minute walk back to my apartment.  All in all, a really good trip.  I’m already looking forward to whenever Jen gets to visit me.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s