A Week in Review

I figured I needed a different title than “playing catchup.”

Monday the 20th and Tuesday the 21st
Nothing particularly interesting happened these days, so let’s move on to the good stuff.

Wednesday the 22nd
Woke up feeling like I wasn’t going to be able to bike to work, so I took a sick day.  Youngest-English-Teacher took me to my doctor’s appointment that afternoon and took me to the grocery store afterwards.  Because curry has become my comfort food here (and it’s ridiculously easy to make) I picked up a few veggies and some oranges and strawberries (trying to get as much vitamin C as possible).  I assumed I had a few more packs of curry at home, but apparently I (as always) assumed incorrectly.  Thankfully, Nico was sweet enough to pick up a few things for me at the grocery store on his way home.

Thursday the 23rd
I started a special video project that I’m doing with the 2nd years.  I’ll write up another post just on this project (I’m super excited about it and just a wee bit proud of myself for organizing it.)

Friday the 24th
On Friday was the big ALT Skill Development Conference.  Every ALT in Miyazaki was supposed to be there.  Altogether, I think there were about 78 or so of us.  (I got so bored during the opening ceremony, I did math.  Unfortunately, the notebook where I actually wrote down the number is in my apartment, while I’m at work.  So I’m guestimating here.)  There were a few ALTs who couldn’t make it for some reason or another, but for the most part, everyone was there.  It was pretty nice to get a chance to talk to other ALTs in the prefecture that I a) rarely see or b)hadn’t ever actually spoken to.

A lot of amusing things were said that day, but by and large my favorite quotes was, “You look a lot taller online.”  This person and I had only interacted on Facebook until this point and I’m assuming the comment was in reference to my pictures.  My normal response is something along the lines of, “I have such a big personality…yadayadyada.”  After the conference, a group of us went to the mall for a bit of shopping and dinner.

Simone and Nico

Simone and Nico

Nico and Keith.  I kept trying to get Amelia in the picture, but she kept leaning out of the frame.

Nico and Keith. I kept trying to get Amelia in the picture, but she kept leaning out of the frame.

This is sort of like fondue, but instead of cheese or something, it's hot oil.  You bread your item and then fry it.

This is sort of like fondue, but instead of cheese or something, it’s hot oil. You bread your item and then fry it.

Saturday the 25th
I woke up early-ish (against my wishes, but because my body decided that 7:30 was a logical time to wake up on a Saturday when I didn’t need to go anywhere until 9:40) but I immediately kicked into gear and started cleaning my apartment.  I hopped on the train and walked to my tutoring lesson.  Simone had some issues with her bike so she had to catch a later train and meet me there.  I spent an awkward 15ish minutes just sitting at a table by myself, looking at the door every few seconds to see if my tutor or Simone had arrived yet.  The tutor finally arrived three minutes late (how very un-Japanese of her) and we got to work.

Simone arrived a little later and we switched places once it was time for her lessons.  After that, we walked to the mall.  On the way to the mall, we were stopped by a Japanese man who wanted to talk to us for a bit.  If I understood correctly, he had done a homestay in France, which was pretty cool.  The man was incredibly friendly and nice (we even got some free oranges out of it).  We headed to the mall for lunch and then had to take a taxi back to the station to catch a train.

Once we got back to my apartment, people started arriving for Game “Night” (it was at 3 pm, so I can’t really count it as a night).  There weren’t as many people as I had hoped, possibly due to a conflicting event, but I hope that next time I hold the event more people will show up.  The night was a success (and I finally found someone else to play SET with me).  Once everyone was gone I cleaned up a bit and crashed fairly early.

Sunday the 26th
When I woke up in the morning I realized that I had left all my TKD paperwork at the office, so I was going to have to go get it.  I stalled as long as I could, but eventually it was time to go.  I biked to my office and almost made it in and out of the school without anyone seeing me.  I then headed further north to meet up with Nico, Gerhard, Junko, and Nico’s supervisor for lunch.  Overall it was fun, but about halfway through lunch I started to fall asleep.  I was trying hard not to cough or sniffle and was ready for a nap.  Unfortunately, a thirty-ish minute bike ride stood between me and that nap.

I texted my TKD teacher that I wasn’t going to make it today due to illness, biked home, and crashed almost as soon as I got into my apartment.  Not a great way to spend the day, but apparently my body wants me to keep taking it easy for a bit longer.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s